Saturday, August 3, 2013

BrOkeN hEaRtEd

We went out to breakfast to calm our nerves before “the call.” If you are wondering what it feels like to get a phone call where the person on the other end is about to tell you if you are pregnant or not, try this: Take all of your savings account, stack it on a craps table, throw in all your hopes and dreams, too, and then give those dice a good roll. Moments like those become roller coaster rides of emotions that end up turning a simple pregnancy test into an extreme sport.

I'm so sad! Sad can't begin to describe the pain I am feeling. My heart is in pieces. We transferred 2 perfect text book embryos. I couldn't believe neither of them took when our doc was nervous transferring two thinking we would have twins. I'm trying to understand if I did something wrong. I'm very healthy! I rested, ate right and really took care of my body during 11 days of bed rest. I'm so scared to go through the physical, mental and emotional torture. I want to believe my doctor when he says its just a numbers game and our success rate is high. And more than anything have the faith it will work! I thought I knew what devastation but now I feel a deeper pain.  I know what "heart break" physically feels like. 

There are only so many hits you can take emotionally before getting knocked down completely. This experience has made me a bit harder, a bit more immune to the disappointment. Maybe I should have been more realistic but I was full of hope this time. Should I of put up a barrier to protect myself? We haven't set a limit on how many times we'll do this. We will continue to see how we feel – emotionally, physically and financially – at the end of the cycle. I have enough eggs, and they're good embryos, so I think as long as that's happening, why not carry on? Should I carry on with scientific expectations from now on? What a big failure!

The overall success rate for in vitro fertilization is about 30%. One in three women who walk away from months of shots, headaches, cold and hot sweats, tears, joint pain, raging hormones, egg retrievals implantation's and thousands of dollars in generally uninsured medical procedures-- with a pregnancy. That means that two in three women who go through all of that stress, anxiety and anticipation don’t have a baby to show for it.

What keeps me going is my relationship with Ben. It's easy to let the passion go because it's all about getting pregnant but I have an AMAZING husband who is understanding and patient with ALL THIS jazz. It will be nice to have a break between cycles. Although we have been pretty good about staying consistent with our 'routine' of life, we can get back to being a normal couple again. I can lose the 17 lbs of hormonal weight I gained in 4 weeks.... while eating clean and exercising. OH, HOW I LOVE the hormonal hell of menopause. 

I've had a rough ride but he has too. Men have to watch their partners go through it all and there's that stupid stigma attached – the idea you can't get your wife pregnant. He's had a few "jokes" at work, people saying: "Oh, I'll come round and get her pregnant for you." I have close friends and family say all the time: "Oh, it will happen just relax." Relax, Really?! They haven't got a clue what this is like for us. 

To make matters worse, I feel like each failure only makes me more committed to trying again. Once you’ve invested such a large portion of your life to having a child, its even more difficult to come away empty-handed. Where can your search finally end if you never get to experience those first kicks that feel like butterflies fluttering around in your stomach or if you never get that rush of emotion from holding a newborn in your arms as it opens its eyes for the first time? How do you give up on that?

I am staying hopeful and prayerful. I'm trying not to let it consume me, but I cant help but think of it most of the day. I pray that God withdraws the fear and anxiety and deposits peace and patience into my heart.


5 comments:

  1. LAURIE LOU!!! I'm so so sorry! I honestly though no news was good news. I know I can't say much to make you feel any better but that I KNOW you will be THE BEST MOM some day! You and Ben are most definitely in our daily prayers. Although we both know were not much of a -get on our knees- type of couple we pray for you daily and always have a prayer in our heart for you and your struggles. Any time you want to come grab Stel--- or any of our kids for that matter--- you know they are ALL YOURS. AND THEY LOVE YOU!!! but you know that. You are an incredible couple full of love and strength. God knows your prayers and he will answer them in the right time. We are a phone call or a lunch/Dinner-Movie away. We love you!
    Love,
    Sami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your failure. How do you define "big failure"? I guess any failure is big... Anyway,I have been through 3 fresh IVF cycles and 2 frozen and finally have a little baby boy. My first cycle was a bust - things looked good but all the transfers were a failure, as was my 2nd cycle, and 2 subsequent FETs. It is VERY common for the first cycle to fail, but the upside is that the first cycle is where they learn the most about how the body reacts to the meds. if you're at a good place, they will learn a lot about how they want to tweak the protocol and hopefully they will get to the point where it finally works. I was a great responder- but i never got PG for the longest time. I had an AWESOME RE who believed that I would get PG at some point and tweaked and tweaked until the protocol was finally "just right" (I ended up stimming on the lowest possible doses of Gonal-f and menopur for 7 days, did PGD and then froze the embryo as my body will not allow an embryo to "implant" during a fresh cycle due to all the hormones). Anyway, if they seem optimistic, then I would believe them. They usually will be pretty honest about your odds. Good luck and be sure to ask a lot of questions at your WTF meeting and dig into what they would do differently next time.

    by the way, i was 37 when i started IVF and was 38 when it finally worked. You guys are in a good place... best of luck

    Pemmie

    Diagnosis: Severe Male Factor - IVF/ICSI considered only option
    IVF#1 BFN -July 2009
    FET#1 BFN- Sept 2009
    IVF #2 BFN - Oct/Nov 2009
    FET #2 Chemical Pregnancy- Jan 2010
    IVF/FET#3 w/ PGD - March/April/May 2010: only 1 blast was normal - successful cycle
    IVF/FET#4 w/ PGD - March/April 2013: 1 normal blast, transferring August/Sept 2013

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you babe! I can't even pretend to know what you're going through, but do know that we LOVE and pray for you often! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie,
    You made me cry! More of our friends have had problems with fertlity then you know. i had no idea you and Ben were struggling. I had 2 IVF cycles using my own eggs. Both were mc's. I had 1 failed donor egg fresh cycle and a FET. I got pregnant with my FET and that resulted in my daughter. I also had 3 failed IUI's before the IVF's. oh and opf course a few surgeries in between for polyps etc...I always hoped to be a mom and tried to stay positive..and I know how hard it is. It can and will happen and you will get your take home baby..just beleive it!!!!!! Call or text me anytime. No one understands that hasn't experienced fertility pain. You will experience this joy! I know it. Thank you for being brave enough to write about your heart break. You will treasure motherhood so much more. There isn't a day that goes by I don't thank my Father in Heaven for this precious gift. Be patient! It will happen.
    Love, Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie, I cant say that its been a fun process but to finally get to the finish line is amazing…I think its like the tortoise and the hare…we took the longer path to get here but slow and steady has won the race to pregnancy…I am nowhere near the finish line which is when we get to hold our precious baby but we are as close as we have ever been and I am enjoying every minute of it!!! Stay positive. It will happen for you. I know it. Thank you for all of your love and support you have shown us through our process. I'm so happy to of met you. You are one of a kind... like I have always said. Thank you and best of luck next time. It is ok to be realistic. That is what gets us emotional, hormonal through because Dr. H is right. It is a numbers game.

    Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete