Thursday, June 30, 2011

KFC slaw


With the 4th of July upon us, I thought I would share a fabulous recipe I discovered. My husband loves the coleslaw from Kentucky Fried Chicken. I'm not a huge coleslaw fanatic other that KFC, in fact to try other coleslaws is nonexistent. One night after a delicious taste of coleslaw heaven he said he wished I could find a recipe for KFC's coleslaw so we could have it at home. I was determined!!

With a little tweaking of my moms coleslaw resp it was official-- The KFC Coleslaw Twin! The results, at first taste, were pretty close to KFC's, but there seemed to be an overwhelming fresh cabbage flavor right after making it. However, after sitting in the refrigerator for several hours, the cabbage had time to soak up the flavor of the dressing, and WAAALAAA! Just like KFC!

KFC Copy Cat

DRESSING:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

SLAW:
1 head of cabbage (or one bag of coleslaw)
1 medium carrot (about 1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons minced onion

Chop cabbage into chunks and run through your food processor, or chop fine.

Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a blender, mix well.

Combine cabbage, carrots, and onion and toss. Pour dressing over the slaw and stir to coat.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2-4 hours before serving to allow the cabbage to soak up the marinade. Overnight is best.

Serves 10 to 12.

MORE I'm making on the 4th:
*Blackberry Pie Squares
*Fresh Raspberry Lemonade
*Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
*Southern Pimento Cheese Burgers
*Sweet & Spicy Deviled Eggs
*Mac & Cheesey
*Famous Baked Beans
*Watermelon Cookies

5 comments:

  1. I'll give it a try it Laur! I love coleslaw. Are you going to post your other recipes? PRETTY PLEASE!!! Sounds like a yummy 4th of July celebration! You really should post more often.:) Easier said then done, right? Haha! Happy 4th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy Yum Yum!!! Can't wait to try this. I agree with Heather, PLEASE post the other recipes AND YOUR OTHER AWARD WINNERS. You are the best Martha I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just barely started loving coleslaw...i'll have to try this out.

    and your 4th of july recipes look delicious! hope you have a great holiday!

    thanks for following my blog :)

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I'm going to make this for our BBQ tonight! Thanks for making my research for a side so easy! I'm sure we will love it cuz' were big time slaw fans! Thanks Laur!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY!!! Sounds so good. Please share your other recipes Laur. You are my perfect wife mentor! Haha! Your homemade wheat cinnamon rolls have become a staple in our home. Thanks again for the recipe and step by step help. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete